Tuesday, April 22, 2008

HAPPY EARTH DAY


Every year I try to plan an Earth Day project for the kids and I. This morning I still didn't have an ideas. Then I remembered these butterfly feeders I wanted to make with the kids. They're hard to see in the picture and there really wasn't much for the kids to do but they turned out cute. We took baby food jars and drilled a small hole in the lid and stuffed a cotton ball in the hole. Then the kids each picked a color (Colin's red, Patrick's blue, Samantha's multicolor, & mine is purple) and I cut out cloth "petals" which we stuck in under the lid. Now we can fill them with sugar water and hang them in our flower garden. (I'm still trying to think of the best way to hang them.) The butterflies will see the "petals" and when they come to check it out they'll smell the nectar. They are so cute, I hope they work.

3 comments:

Jensen Family said...

What a cute idea, let us know if it works! Ashley is all into trying to catch butterflies lately so if it works maybe I will let her do that. Then she can at least see them closer!

Rencher Fam said...

What a great idea...you are such a crafty mom!

Anonymous said...

I am a frequent reader of your blog!! Love it!!